Tuesday, June 27, 2006

addict's remorse

i'm rethinking the wisdom of deciding to become a regular coffee drinker. before May of this year i'd drink coffee now and then. i liked it, don't get me wrong, but i wasn't like most of you (addicts) out there. i could take it or leave it. i controlled coffee. coffee didn't control me. then, fourth round of finals rolled around and i decided, you know what... it's about time i got hooked on coffee. i mean, everyone's doing it. my friends. my husband. my parents. my in-laws. even my grandparents! what is wrong with me that i can just roll out of bed in the morning happy as a clam?

before: happy as a clam...


something's not right here...


something has to change. and so... i made the switch. i turned into the rest of you. but... was it the right decision??? today, even knowing that the coffee had been made... even having received plenty of sleep... i could barely keep my eyes open to roll out of bed and make my way to the kitchen. i have turned into a zombie without coffee!!!

now: zombie...

people! what if there's some big conspiracy to get us all hooked and then once we are, it's going to be taken away from us???!!!! we're not going to have the strength to fight back!!! we'll be too tired!!! too groggy!!!! this is not right!!! i'm scared for our survival. what if the beans run out??!!! WHAT IF THE BEANS RUN OUT!!!!!!!!

is this what being an adult is like?? grumble...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I share your concern. In fact, sometimes it keeps me up at night. Does that make me sleepier in the morning so that I need coffee even more? Maybe its a conspiracy!
If not, maybe the big question is whether or not Juan Valdez has children. After all, somebody needs to keep those fields full of the good stuff! Propagate, Mr. Valdez, and keep the world safe for coffee drinkers! Who needs oil? We can walk. But we need to walk a straight line, and that can only be done with a cup of Joe.